For a good start of the week, I wanted to share a very fruity very summer-y cake, for you to try right now, even if we are still longing for spring to finally settle.
Let me explain. This cake only makes sense because of its massive amount of strawberries, the batter fonctions here as a fruit holder, just here to let the strawberries shine. Right now, strawberries are already available but it is not by all means high season and they are not as delicious as the August ones, full of sunshine, the ones you eat just as they are, without cream or sugar. Howewer, May strawberries are just perfect for this cake, you bake them and their flavors concentrate, they become August strawberries with this quick magic trick.
Moreover, this cake is really easy to prepare, so easy that I have put it in the “Easy Recipes” category of this site, another trick to encourage you to try it.
Strawberry Summer Cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
85g (6 tbsp) of butter (room temperature)
190g (1 1/2 cup) of flour
1/2 paquet of baking powder (1 1/2 tsp)
1 pinch of salt
150g ( 1 1/2 cup) of sugar
120 ml (1/2 cup) of milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
350g (12 oz) of strawberries, hulled and halved
1. Preheat your oven at 180°C (350 °F) and grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg, milk and vanilla. Stir well.
3. Incorporate the dry ingredients and pour into the pie dish.
4. Place the strawberries, cut side down, in a single layer. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar.
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 °C (350°F) then for 50 minutes at 160°C (325°F). A knife must come out of the cake clean.