It’s beautiful spring afternoon, seaside. The sun hits the deck, the cat sleeps in the tall grasses, the windows are wide open, letting the air from the ocean inside the house. So, for dessert, we need something like that, something to go with this change of season. Big and quirky organic lemons, that seem seem to have just fallen off a tree in Sicily. Candied lemon slices, gold and sleek. Crunchy poppy seeds. Some softness also, for the sweet times. This cake is a great spring deal, it brings all this together and gently wakes you up before you go slipping your toes between the fresh grass.
Lemon cake with candied lemons
200g of flour
150g of brown sugar
100g of butter + 1 pinch of salt
3 organic lemons
125g of greek yogourt
1/2 packet of baking soda
2 tbsp of poppy seeds
Candied Lemons :
1 organic lemon, sliced
40 cl of water
200g of sugar
1. Preheat your oven at 180 °C
2. Wash and dry the lemons. Finely grate their zest, a squeeze their juice.
3. Melt the butter in a cup and let it cool. In a jar, wisk together the eggs with the sugar. Add the flour, baking soda and melted butter.
5. Add the greek yogourt, the lemon juice and the zests. Finally, add the poppy seeds and mix well.
6. Pour into a cake mould and bake for 40 à 45 min. The cake should be soft inside and golden outside. Let it cool on a rack.
7. Make the candied lemons : bring to boil the water and the sugar in a pot. Add the lemon slices and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Decorate the cake with the candied lemons before serving.